08 October 2010

Bon Jovi: My Top 50 Favorite Songs

One month from now, on my birthday as it so happens, Bon Jovi will release a new Greatest Hits "Ultimate Collection" of their best or most popular songs. That collection will include four brand new songs, which makes it an even sweeter deal, but of course I don't know those new songs yet, so they don't count here. Anyway, having identified my favorite songs by the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, it struck me that Bon Jovi has probably been the most significant rock and roll band since the end of that era. You may correct me if I'm wrong, though I might not agree with you.

Whatever the case may be, I set about determining my favorite Bon Jovi songs. I found that narrowing it down to only ten or even twenty-five was too hard and not as much fun, so I settled on my top fifty favorite songs. And here they be:


1. Livin' On a Prayer

2. You Give Love A Bad Name

3. Wanted Dead Or Alive

4. Whole Lot of Leaving

5. Last Man Standing

6. Till We Ain’t Strangers Anymore (with Leann Rimes)

7. Seat Next to You

8. Any Other Day

9. Have A Nice Day

10. I'll Be There For You


11. Never Say Goodbye

12. Everybody’s Broken

13. Complicated

14. One Step Closer

15. Lost Highway

16. Who Says You Can't Go Home (with Jennifer Nettles)

17. Bad Medicine

18. Runaway

19. Bang a Drum

20. Superman Tonight


21. We Got It Going On (with Big & Rich)

22. Thorn in My Side

23. Welcome to Wherever You Are

24. Blaze Of Glory

25. (You Want To) Make A Memory

26. We Weren't Born To Follow

27. Wild Is the Wind

28. Walk Like a Man

29. Summertime

30. Wildflower


31. Santa Fe

32. Lay Your Hands On Me

33. Keep The Faith

34. It's My Life

35. Live Before You Die

36. Open All Night

37. Story of My Life

38. Stick to Your Guns

39. Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen from Mars

40. Say It Isn’t So


41. Everyday

42. Miracle

43. Fast Cars

44. Bed of Roses

45. Next 100 Years

46. Love’s the Only Rule

47. Born To Be My Baby

48. You Had Me from Hello

49. In And Out Of Love

50. Misunderstood


And my top favorite Bon Jovi albums, in approximate order of favoritude (which could easily be rearranged on any given day):

Lost Highway

Have a Nice Day

New Jersey

Slippery When Wet

The Circle

Blaze of Glory

Crush

8 comments:

Kirsten said...

"...having identified my favorite songs by the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, it struck me that Bon Jovi has probably been the most significant rock and roll band since the end of that era. You may correct me if I'm wrong, though I might not agree with you."

I won't correct you, because you're not wrong...says me, anyway.

My first memory of Bon Jovi is watching the video for Runaway on MTV in 1982. It's amazing to me that was 28 years ago. They are still making great music.

Thanks for sharing this list.

Monkey Laughs said...

I think you might be getting the album "Full Circle" from Creed's new album. I think the new Bon Jovi album is called "The Circle." In any case, another great list! Awesome music.

Rev. Rick Stuckwisch said...

Thanks for your comments, Kirsten. You discovered them before I did, in spite of the fact that I have a few years head start on you! You must have been precocious.

Zach, ah, yes, right you are! I've made the correction. Thanks for catching my mistake and letting me know.

Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

My #1 Bon Jovi song didn't even make your top 50:

"On the Edge of a Broken Heart" from the Disorderlies soundtrack.

mlorfeld said...

I honestly cannot see how Bon Jovi either rocks or rolls. Pop, maybe. I am impressed that one is able to name 50 Bon Jovi songs.

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

Two things.

1. Bed of Roses is far too low. One of the best, ironic ballads ever.

2. If you wanted to say "American" Rock Act, I think Bon Jovi might be up there - although I think Mellencamp and Prince top him. And over all, U2 tops them (even though I do love me some Prince).

Rev. Rick Stuckwisch said...

Remarkably, I don't think I've ever heard "On the Edge of a Broken Heart."

Mlorfeld -- Ouch! ;-)

Bed of Roses wears on me after a while. I like the song, but it's not my favorite (obviously).

I'll grant that U2 is probably even more significant than Bon Jovi, and they've had as long or longer staying power. Good point. Not Prince, though. In my opinion, he hasn't done anything worthwhile since the 80s. Target is trying to clear out their glut of his latest attempt (Lotus Flower) at $1.99!

I loved Bon Jovi's music in the 80s, but I also think they've aged well, and their most recent albums have become strong favorites.

I wouldn't call them "heavy metal," certainly. Hard Rock at times, yes. But "rock and roll," absolutely. "Pop rock" on some songs, perhaps, but not "pop."

Monkey Laughs said...

Well, Dad, I finally posted in response to this on my blog. I'm just getting started on the process for other artists, though. I'm just not as good or quick at this list-making stuff as you are! ;-)