05 January 2017

The Books I Most Enjoyed in 2016

For the past number of years, my children and I have voted on our favorite read-aloud books of the year (that is, of those we enjoyed together in the course of the calendar year).  I'm not sure we'll be able to do that anymore, since I've been reading to several different groupings of the children in addition to the reading that I do for myself.  So, for this year, at any rate, I'm simply offering the following list of the (fictional) books that I most enjoyed in 2016.  Some of these I read to myself, others I read to my children.  For the most part, I've not included isolated books from ongoing series that we've read (and listed) in the past, since it's difficult to evaluate those individual installments.  In some cases, though, where a book or a couple of books from a series have stood alone and stood out, I've identified those where pertinent.

With that preamble, here are the fifteen (fictional) books (or series of books) that I most enjoyed in 2016, listed here in proximate order, beginning with my most favorite:

Infinite RegressPast Tense (Schooled in Magic, #9 & 10)
by Christopher Nuttall

Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)
by Robert Galbraith

The Kronos Chronicles (trilogy)
by Marie Rutkoski

The Diabolic
by S.J. Kincaid

The Heir Chronicles (five books)
by Cinda Williams Chima

The Nethergrim series (two books so far)
by Matthew Jobin

The Books of Beginning (trilogy)
by John Stephens

Ramona series (eight books)
by Beverly Cleary

Split the PartyGoing Rogue (Spells, Swords, & Stealth, #2 & 3)
by Drew Hayes

Dodger
by Terry Pratchett

Bookworm series (four books)
by Christopher Nuttall

The Twistrose KeyThornghost
by Tone Almhjell

Switch (Savvy, #3)
by Ingrid Law

Henry Reed series (five books)
by Keith Robertson

The Toymaker’s Apprentice
by Sherri L. Smith

No comments: