26 August 2011

Forty Eurekas of the New Decade So Far

Hats off to Roy Harper, of course; and to Classic Rock magazine; to my good friend, colleague and fellow rocker, Grant Knepper; to my son, Zachary, who also happens to my best music buddy; to my local library, especially for its large collection of CDs in multiple genres; to Amazon.com for its search engines and music samples; and to all the online ways of checking out new music for FREE.

Eight months into the new decade, and it's abundantly clear that the Lord continues to give more good gifts of great music than I'll ever be able to exhaust in a single lifetime — and certainly more than enough to grace my days with joy and gladness in the creativity and skills of my neighbors.

As August draws to a close, and as I've been waking up from my recent jet lag, I've been pondering my favorite musical discoveries of the year (which also happens to be the decade) so far; and, as I am almost always wont to do, I've compiled a list — in this case, a list of the forty "eurekas" that happen to have landed at the top of my mind at this point. Some of these gems are hardly new to the rest of the world, but somehow they managed to escape my attention up until now; better late than never, though, right? Probably my favorite discovery of that sort is Saxon, and I have Brother Grant to thank for calling my attention to them. (Thanks!)

Anyway, enough of the preliminaries. Here's the list, in alphabetical order, with apologies to the letters I, O, Q, X, Y, and Z, which aren't represented by any of these outstanding artists:

Airrace

Amaranthe

Audrey Horne

Michael Angelo Batio

Black Spiders

Wade Bowen

Coldspell

Dragonforce

Eden’s Curse

Foo Fighters

Peter Frampton

Gotthard

Hammerfall

Houston

Jag Panzer

Jorn

Khymera

Lovehammers

Mastodon

Myrath

The New Black

The Poodles

Pretty Maids

Red Fang

Rhapsody of Fire

Brian Robertson

Saxon

Shakra

Sideburn

Social Distortion

Joe Stump

Symfonia

Thompson Square

Treat

Trivium

Trust Company

Uriah Heep

Vega

Wolfmother

Work of Art

No comments: