11 August 2008

Grandpa Me

I've been busting at the seams to share this news for the past several weeks now, but needed to wait for the timing to be chosen by the proud parents to be of my first grandchild! Yes, it seems that my family is approaching exponential growth in this amazing year, as Sam & DoRena are expecting a baby in March of 2009. They called to let us know last month, but wanted to wait until now to spread the good word further. The thought has brought a silly grin to my face, over and over again, ever since their phone call. Hard to think of myself as a grandpa, but few things in life could make me giddier with excitement and anticipation.

So 2008 really has been rather remarkable to date. LaRena and I have sent one child ahead of us to heaven from the womb; we have gained a son-in-law in Sam and a daughter-in-law in Rebekah; now we are giving thanks and interceding for both another child of our own and our first grandchild in the womb. It is fun to think that my new baby, expected in February of 2009, will welcome his first neiphling a month later. Actually, it kind of blows my mind a bit, but in a good way.

The only thing that has me feeling a bit puzzled, is how it is that my family can seem so small at this point, when it is growing so amazingly. With Job in heaven, Sam & DoRena and their little unborn child in Fort Wayne, Zach & Bekah down in Texas, and our youngest little person in utero, it appears that exactly half my children (broadly speaking) are out of sight and beyond my reach. None of them are ever far from my heart; all of them are daily in my thoughts and prayers, as consistently and conscientiously as anything I've ever done in life. But I can't keep an eye on those seven. I still have the other seven under my watch, and they are surely no less precious to me: Nicholai, Monica, Ariksander, Oly'anna, Justinian, Frederick and Gerhardt. It's only that seven can feel like such a small little group, especially without their big brother and sister around.

Well, anyway, I'm eagerly looking forward to the arrival of my first grandchild, and in the meantime I am praying for my daughter's health and well-being during her pregnancy. The prayers and intercessions of those who may be so inclined to offer them, are deeply appreciated.

7 comments:

Nat said...

Wow! Congratulations, Pastor. I was kind of wondering when this sort of news would crop up.

Nicholai said...

I guess Sam said something about it at the poker party but I didn't hear it until Saturday

sarahlaughed said...

Oh joy!! Congratulations Grandpa Pastor! :D

organistsandra said...

I remember, when I was a little kid, my utter disbelief at some other kid's insistence that he was already an uncle. Everyone knows that uncles are like parents. As in - ADULTS. You'll have to explain all this to your child and grandchild.

Absolutely delightful news!
Most of my friends are having babies. I'm glad to welcome some friends into the grandparent club. even though you're also in the having baby club.

Jane said...

So glad the news is out, because I've been about to pop! :) I've also been having a lot of fun imagining the smile on your face.

Cindy R. said...

Congratulations! That's quite a family you have.

Genuine Lustre said...

Well the rumors were circulating....

Congrats! That's very happy news.