01 May 2009

Bemusing Myself

In the way that we exercise our Christian freedom, I have observed that cultural events, activities and phenomena often wield a more compelling interest and occupy a higher priority than the life of the Church in the means of grace. That seems strange to me, when I think about it objectively; still, I perceive the same reactions and attitudes in my own heart and life. Of course, reactions and attitudes are not yet actions, which we can discipline objectively. So why don't we more often? All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable to faith and life.

I'm exceedingly grateful that our Lord's priorities are for our salvation, even when ours are not.

I'm also bemusing myself at how quickly and easily I become self-righteously indignant with the self-righteous indignation of others.

1 comment:

Karin said...

I love your last sentence. :o)